Monday 2 November 2009

Welsh Women Walking Kilimanjaro - Debbie Trotman




Hi

My name is Debbie Trotman, Divisional Administrator for the Wales Division of the Institute of Directors. I am part of a team of 15 women called
Welsh Women Walking who will be walking up Kilimanjaro in January 2010 in aid 2 Welsh charities - Ty Hafan a children's hopsice and Breast Cancer Care Cymru. I have decided to do a blog of all my training so far. It all started back in June 2009 when I attended the launch of Welsh Women Walking! I couldn't attend their first walk which was the first Sunday in July, but decided to go along to the 2nd walk on Sunday 2nd August which was a 4 hour walk in the Brecon Beacons - walking up Carn Pica (pics above)and boy what a walk, climb it was, but that's when I got hooked on walking!!

Sunday 2nd August
Well my walk what can I say - I started climbing and climbing and I was just so relieved that I hadn't signed up to walk Kilimanjaro, like my friend, Angie Smith - I thought they must be mad!!!!

I had asked a friend of mine Sharon to come with me on the walk and told her it would be fun! However the walk was far harder than Sharon or I had anticipated - our guide had to take another route up the mountain and boy was it tough - I crawled up the last part to the summit of Carn Pica and thought Oh my God!! I was exhausted - so much so that I didn't want my lunch as I felt sick! The walk back down was much easier and I began to enjoy myself and forget the ordeal of going up (bit like giving birth you soon forget)! After about 5 hours of walking we had eventually reached the bottom again and so we all decided to go to the pub for a glass of wine and after a glass I had forgotten how hard it had been and after some persuation from some of the team who had already committed agreed to think about joining the team! - Weird - I said I'd speak to my hubbie Paul and Kids and see what they thought, but I was very keen to join! My husband Paul was very supportive and said I should do it, but my daughter Jenna said 2"but that means you'll be away for my birthday" (29th Jan and she'll be 26) I said I think you'll be OK and will sing Happy Birthday to you when we reach the summit as that's the day we will get there (hopefully). My son Matt was very supportive and said - go for it - you'll do it Mum ! My other daughter Becky said "Your going to die!" - Typical just when I was so positive about it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment